Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sleepwalker Defense - Weddings and Funerals(EP-self released)

Reviewed by Theresa Killebrew

I spent many manic adolescent hours chasing the likes of Apocolypse Hoboken, the Vindictives, both with and without Ben Weasel, and the Bollweevils around the Chicagoland underground scene. They are days I remember with a misty sentimentality unbecoming to a punk show. There are many moments on this quick four song E.P. that take me back. Never mind that Sleepwalker Defense is comprised of my favorite musicians from the Bollweevils and John Brown Battery, and that they are still playing hard ass punk rock. They are all grown up now, and so is the music. Well, I mean, for punk. The best thing about it though, is how much the lyrics have matured, and the melodies have filled out. Gone are the days of sloppy craftsmanship carried by driving aggressive ambition. Sleepwalker Defense has consructed traditonal Chicago punk band songs that incorporate a little of everything we love about indie rock, without loosing the ability to make you jump around like a 16 yr old. The opening track, Medicine, is by far my favorite. It instantly caught my attention with a rhythmic intro and that familiar driving bass. I find myself humming it on the train and in the shower. The band sounds tight, and they get along. I hope this means that we will be hearing from them for a long time coming.

Originally posted in Issue 1.2, September/October 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home