Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Textbook - Smoke 'em If You Got 'Em (Next to Ex Records)

Reviewed by Theresa Killebrew

In the early summertime, and the early fall, one of my favorite things to do is find a great, upbeat record, pop it into the car stereo and take a good 50mph cruise up and then back Lake Shore Drive just before the sun decides to set. I like to turn the sound way up and roll down the windows and lose myself in the sound of happy guitars and the sunshine warming up the lake. This record makes me miss my car. It was actually recorded in 2000, but was recently picked up by Next To Ex/Boss Tuneage Records to go along with upcoming release, Used. Located in the UK, Boss Tuneage is an interesting story on their own, and I suggest you check out the website. The band features former members of Not Rebecca/Woolworthy and the Smoking Popes. Now, if you know anything about me, than you know that I have a certain affinity for the Smoking Popes. It's not an obsession, more like a keen affection. So I was very pleased to find these boys had an instantly pleasing sound, warm and inviting, like LSD at sunset. They initially reminded me of Jimmy Eat World, not Bleed American, older Jimmy Eat World. That is alright by me. It's true that this is another emo pop band, but after listening to this record several times, I can hear so much more. That might be due to the variety of it's members. It's just too hard to figure it out I think, just know that the singer is Dave Lysien of Not Rebecca, and it is his voice that gives the band it's consistancy. I think I would probably listen to this quick record once through on the way up, and hit repeat on track 9, Grainbelt, for the trip back. Anyone wanna go for a drive?

Originally posted in Issue 1.2, September/October 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home